Here’s a fun, simple design which is easy to do. It uses silver, several colors and black crackle.
These are the polishes that I used for the design. (Yes, I used my Kindle for the base. =)
From left to right we have:
# Seche Vite
# Spoiled _Daddy’s Credit Card_
# Spoiled _I tripped on the Red Carpet_
# Spoiled _Don’t Be Cheesy_
# Spoiled _Did I Dye It Too Blonde?_
# Spoiled _Plenty Of Fish In The Sea_
# Spoiled _I’m So Jaded_
# Sephora by OPI _Blasted Black_
The *Wet n Wild* Spoiled line of polishes can be found at CVS or similar stores and they’re really inexpensive — generally $2 each or 4 for $7 ! — which goes to show that it’s not necessary to spend a lot of money on a polish collection.
_I took the following “progress” photos with my iPhone and quickly corrected them in Aperture, so the quality isn’t as good as the later ones I took with my DSLR._
h4. Two coats of silver
I started with two coats of silver for the base of the design. I did this because these particular polish colors are thin so they show what’s under them. I used silver to give the colors a little “punch” since it acts like a mirror reflecting light back. The next photo shows what I’m talking about.
Here is a sample of the blue which shows the thinness of the colors. From top to bottom I painted a band of white, silver, and black. Then added a single coat of the blue color. You can see that the visual effect is different for each. For example, though not well captured in the image, the reflection from the black band is teal in color.
Here the silver looks darker than the white, but it’s just because it reflects light differently than the white. The silver works quite well.
h4. First coat of color
Here we have my first coat of colors, _pre-cleanup_. You can see they are just applied haphazardly on each nail. I didn’t overlap the colors because I didn’t want to mix on the brush, but you could overlap if you waited for them to dry.
h4. Second coat of color
This shows my second coat of color, _pre-cleanup_. Though the colors are a little saturated in this photo, you can still see that they are more vibrant.
Here’s a closeup of the second coat of color, _post-cleanup_. When putting a color over silver, I usually give a little extra margin between my skin and the silver because the formulas are generally harder to remove ; this can come into play when doing final cleanup.
I also applied a coat of Seche Vite over the colors. This step is optional, but I did it to protect the design created up to this point and to make cleanup easier after doing the black crackle.
h4. Single coat of black crackle
This shows the single-coat of black crackle applied, _post-cleanup_. Once it was dry I added another coat of Seche Vite which really helps to make the black “pop”, bringing the design together.
Here are photos of the finished design taken under lights with my DSLR.
I hope you try this one out. Like I said, it’s easy to do and a fun design. I also got a lot of compliments on it.by